Ok, so I’ve said this in a post months ago, but I just want to reiterate that I do not condone the use of the word “crazy” in general because of my own diagnosis and my attempt to educate others, but as the term “crazy cat lady” denotes a specific type of feline-obsessed woman, then I’m just going to use it. I am a self-admitted crazy cat lady and I am not in the least bit ashamed of that. In some ways, I’m not the classic definition. I am not a spinster and I only have one cat; however, I attribute this to the fact that my boyfriend prevents me from filling our tiny apartment with furry babies. I just have one and most of you know his name is Chester. I spent over an hour at work, on and off, looking for a suitable kitty Halloween costume 😉 This is silly for many reasons, but mostly because he won’t be wearing it anywhere other than inside the house. I bought it so everyone can see him in a costume 😉 I’m just using Halloween as a an excuse to splurge on him.
The fact that I spent so much time finding the “perfect” cat costume says something about me and my love for cats. Not love, obsession. I came up with a list of things that I know I do quite often that leave people saying, “she’s a crazy cat lady.” Here it goes.
You might be a crazy cat lady if:
- You’d rather be at home cuddling your cat than being with friends.
- Most of your conversations eventually steer towards something cat-related.
- Your desktop background at work is a slideshow of pictures of your cat(s).
- When bored, you troll eBay for cat figurines.
- Your Amazon wish list contains nothing but cat-related items.
- You find yourself changing the lyrics of songs on the radio to something about your cat. Take this example of that Florida Georgia Line song: “Chester you’re so cute, you make me want to cuddle you all night long in my Cruze!” Yeah, I drive a Chevy Cruze…
- When you get home from a long day at work, you immediately pick up & cuddle your cat saying “I missed you so much.” 5 minutes later you turn to your partner, who is sitting on the couch, and say, “Oh, hey honey, how was your day?”
- Anytime you go anywhere and leave your cat at home, you find yourself asking out loud, “I wonder what (cat’s name) is doing now?” Then you inevitably imagine some kind of impossible scenario (e.g. Chester is sitting on the couch, flipping through channels…)
- You know how to hold a cat when others fail. I’m pretty sure I’m a cat whisperer.
- Friends, family, and acquaintances call you a crazy cat lady. It’s just that evident.
- You have photo shoots of your cat(s). Then look through them on your computer saying “aw” with every one.
- You walk your cat.
- You have literally 10+ nicknames for your cat and call it each one daily. (e.g. Chesty, Chetty, Chesternut, Cheetoh, Boo Boo, BoBo, CuKi, KiKi Bear…)
- You swear your cat knows more than it let’s on. Chester has an old soul.
- All of the blinds in your house are open so your cat can see out. You don’t even care if anyone sees you dressing anymore, it’s just normal.
- You spent hours crafting cat furniture because you just love your cat so much, then it never uses it.
- You love your cat more than most people.
- You’d rather have a house full of cats than even one child.
- Whenever someone is talking about something their kid has done, you almost always relate it in some way to something your cat has done. This always warrants odd looks…
- You plan Halloween costumes for your cat months in advance!
I actually had a lot of fun writing this. 🙂 These are ALL true to me. I could probably list more, but my OCD likes the number 20.
Please feel free to share something about yourself! I’d love to hear the things that makes you a crazy cat lady, or man for that matter 🙂